With 5,797 miles of coastline, nearly 770,000 square miles of territory, and a climate that ranges from tropical rainforests to dry deserts, finding a diverse range of things to do in Mexico is easier than one might think. As the 13th largest country in the world and the 11th most populous, Mexico is a heaven for travelers who find enjoyment in experiencing the wonders Mother Nature has created and the culture that humans have designed. When visiting the diverse destinations in Mexico, the must do activities for your Mexico vacations are plentiful. Whether you’re discovering the hidden beach in Riviera Nayarit, reveling in the history of the nation in destinations in Mexico such as Cancun, Loreto, and everywhere in between, or indulging in the deliciousness of authentic Mexican cuisine, you’re bound to fall in love with these Mexico activities.
- Revel in the Nation’s Unique History– From the Catholic missions in Loreto, Mexico that brought a new era of civilization to the western coast, to the ancient Mayan ruins that pepper the eastern side of the country, Mexico is a haven for those who like to learn while on their Mexico vacations. There are various activities to do in Mexico that revolve around the nation’s unique and interesting past. Make time to visit the elaborate churches that can be found in almost every Mexican town, explore the Mayan and Aztec sites that tell the story of the country’s pre-Hispanic roots, or discover the history of each town while embarking on a city tour or exploring it for yourself. There truly are a myriad of vacation things to do if you are a history lover traveling to Mexico.
- Immerse Yourself in the Culture of Mexico – When deciding the must do activities for your Mexico vacation, make immersing yourself in the culture a top priority. Even if you opt to stay at one of the luxury resorts in Mexico, you’ll find countless ways to discover what so many others have come to love, a culture rooted deep in tradition, family values, kindness, and the art of having fun. If you are looking for cultural activities to do in Mexico, visit the center of town where you’ll often find entertainment in the form of dancing, artwork, food stands, and more during the many holidays celebrated in Mexico. Whether you are taking part in the 12-days of parades in honor of the Virgin of Guadalupe in Puerto Vallarta, attending the events of the Sabor a Cabo festival, or participating in the endless celebrations during Mexico’s Independence, you’ll enjoy every minute of these Mexico vacation activities. You can also visit one of the many markets that take place in strategic areas throughout each of the destinations in Mexico or head out on one of the many tours that include performances or visits to the authentic Mexican corners of town. Immersing yourself in the culture is by far one of the best, and most memorable, things to do in Mexico.
- Explore the Diverse Landscapes – Mexico is a mega-diverse country that is home to a large array of flora and fauna that inhabit the varied landscapes that blanket the country. Each of the destinations in Mexico has a unique landscape to be explored, providing an infinite number of Mexico vacation activities for everyone to enjoy. If you are headed to Puerto Vallarta or Riviera Nayarit for your Mexico vacations, zip through the canopy high above the mountainous jungle on a zipline tour or embark on a seaside adventure. If Cabo San Lucas is more your vacation style, grab an ATV and discover the wonders of the desert or head out on Mexico activities at sea. In Loreto, you’ll find the “Aquarium of the World,” a protected marine park teeming with exotic fish and other marine life begging to be encountered, and in Cancun, the tropical rainforests and sandy beaches provide numerous ways to have fun. In Mexico, there are endless opportunities for entertainment when you explore the diverse landscapes and Mexico activities that are available.
- Enjoy the Artwork – If you’ve ever been to Mexico before, than you know that art is everywhere. Take time on your Mexico vacations to enjoy the art that is often on display throughout each of the destinations. In Puerto Vallarta, the Malecon in downtown is home to various sculptures, countless art galleries, and artistic displays by the Huichol indians. In Los Cabos, there is an art walk in San Jose del Cabo once a week during the high season or you can simply walk through downtown where art is constantly on display. In Loreto, you can even appreciate art created centuries ago when you tour the cave paintings found deep in the Sierra de la Giganta mountains. Appreciating art is truly one of the best things to do in Mexico.
- Indulge in Authentic Mexican Food – No matter where you find yourself vacationing in Mexico, you’ll find a delicious array of traditional Mexican food that is simply to die for. Mexico is one of the few countries in the world to have their cuisine recognized by UNESCO, a division of the United Nations that dedicates its efforts to preserving cultural heritage. While on vacation, take advantage of the various Mexico activities that put you in touch with food. Riviera Nayarit, Cabo San Lucas, and Puerto Vallarta are known to host a number of gourmet festivals, in addition to a variety of food tours, such as taco, tequila, and wine tastings. You can also indulge at the various Mexican restaurants where traditional treats are available, including those that feature the seafood dishes native to Mexico’s coastal towns. If you’re looking for must do activities for you Mexico vacation, make eating high on the list.
- Discover a Hidden Beach – Not everyone will be able to discover a hidden beach on their Mexico vacations, but if you’re in Riviera Nayarit or Puerto Vallarta, you’ll have the unique opportunity to visit one of the world’s most famous hidden beaches. Inside a crater on the Marietas Islands is a hidden beach that is as unique as they come. As one of the most sought after activities to do in Mexico, it can be hard to get a pass to the island, but if you’re among the lucky, you’ll surely have a memorable time.